R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Axial Scorpion AX-10 Thread!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2007, 07:16 AM
Desolas

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

should i just do a 55t motor and get a rooster crawler esc or will a novak gtx work just fine. or should i go with the goat brushless system. Novak GTX will not work in the long run as you do need reverse in a crawler.

anyone running the brushless system or both?
Get the Rooster Crawler, or spend a little more and get a Mamba Max 1/10 ... best ESC around, but it's $140 or something...

I started out with a 55t. Didn't like it, not enough wheel speed. I tried a 45t, didn't like it, not enough wheel speed. So I came up with a 35T for Brood. I've found this to be the best motor, IMO. Lots of torque, more than a 45-60T lathe motor, and way more wheel speed with a 7.4v pack. If you run a 3s LIPO you get a ton of RPM and good low end control for slow crawling. With the stock gearing my truck does about 12-15mph top speed, but has so much torque on the low end I can crawl real slow.

Makes a huge difference if you are trying to climb up steep slopes, or just hop over stuff. You can clear gaps easier, etc. Wheelies on carpet or grass, and makes the truck just more fun to drive than watching it slowly work it's way over to an obstacle.

Brushless sucks for crawling. I don't know if it will ever work right. You just can't beat the holding power of two brushes being held firm against the comm - its like having a disc brake on the driveline that you can adjust by spring tension, that combined with drag braking in the ESC and the brushed systems just work better. May not always be the case, but it is right now.