R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - why are we still running sub-c cells??
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Unregistered
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Enjoy these 17.5`s you will have to buy soon.. .....
I don't think that you'll find that the new ROAR prez is dumb enough to suggest that we need to "force" everyone to run out and buy another new motor. Why is it that so many of the "stock" guys (not necessarily you) get all hot and bothered when someone suggests a class that might actually slow things down a little? It's not like 13.5 is going to go away regardless of the ROAR rules. They're going to have to cator to 13.5 and I think the best thing to do is make it more like the current 19 turn class. It should be a spec class in between "stock" and "mod".

I think that we need two brushless "spec" classes for 6 cell. The first class is 13.5 this would give a new class for the "fast" stock guys and the 19 turn guys if they want to go brushless. The second class would be slower (17.5 or even higher/slower). This new slower class would give the bulk of the stock guys, new people, and hobbyists a class to race in.

The whole brushless debate is a little off topic here for this thread so to try to bring it back in line on the battery issue...

I think that the new "spec" brushless rules are going to be the perfect opportunity to allow LiPo into the 6 cell classes. It's a perfect time to bring in the LiPo's with a little extra weight and still allow NiMh with a weight disadvantage. This way, it won't "force" everyone to rush out and go LiPo but it will make it more of an advantage if you go LiPo.

After a couple of years, they could relax the weight rules even more so that LiPo (or some new chemistry) will have more of an advantage. Mod is mod, and I think that we'll have to look a little harder at what the weights will need to be going foreward.