R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - brushless death
Thread: brushless death
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2007, 10:53 AM
darnold
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

All of this usually revolves around a base line of logic that goes something like this: "New technology is better because...x,y,z, AND it will level the playing field AND make racing less expensive".

This line of logic is so old that it is almost funny...almost that is but in reality it ends up getting very lame and very infuriating. Why? Because people ALWAYS figure out a way to make some aspect of the new technology or an adjacent technology have an advantage. That advantage goes undetected by most racers and the industry doesn't acknowledge it for some time while those that figure it out or are on the inside and get it passed to them utilize it to their advantage for some length of time. Then the advantage and its cost become known to more of the masses and they balk.

The industry finally starts to produce the advantage(s) so that everyone else can finally catch up...at a cost mind you, and then the theoretical state of nirvana is lost because you get...increased cost, more wear, more rules to be figured out and employed, etc.

Then someone looks to some outskirt technology to try to get their nirvana dream back and says "This will make racing easier and more fun while leveling the playing field and lessening the cost" and then they start a tyrannical, temper tantrum, I want it now, movement to force racers and the industry to adopt the new technology only to be horrified that their little predictions and promises of nirvana don't hold up.

They simply can't believe how things morph and get away from their desired dream state even though they were warned countless times. Why? Because they spent more time dictating how everyone would "have" to play according to their rules, utilize the new technology their way and shouldn't be allowed to do anything else with it while they rebutted every observation, test, and experience that was shared with them so that their nirvana could be achieved. They didn't want to be confused with anything outside of their desired reality, anything that didn't agree with what they thought was wrong. Racers that have any problems with the new technological order of their nirvana state are incompetent and haven't utilized the technology properly or surely they wouldn't have the problems or see the potential advantages that they have started to exploit because they don't exist. Everything works just right in the nirvana state...

Well sorry well wishers, this is RACING and THE goal of racing I have finally learned is to figure out advantages that others have not and then keep your mouth shut about it!!! When RobK, Jmccormick, Kraig, Wishbone and others tell you that the new technology is going to progress to places undreamed of the nirvana seekers better stop replying with "No they can't do that, we need to make rules to force them to keep our state of blissful, wishful thinking", because it is not going to happen.

We are already seeing that a new sintered rotor can really freshen up a 13.5 that is only a MONTH old. We are already seeing that certain BL's DO drive like a brushed motor which aides in chassis setup and gives an advantage in driving. We are already seeing that Lipo's cycled at certain out of "spec" amp rates DO provide increased power at the expense of longevity. We are already seeing that different BL's DO go faster than other brands and that timing and ESC adjustments DO make a difference.

Enjoy your wishful state of nirvana because in the next 6-12 months it will be only a mid summer nights dream that you can barely remember existed at all. BTW, I DO like BL but not because it is less maintenance (although I DO like this feature of it) and not because it "levels" the playing field (because we are already starting to see that it doesn't). I like BL because it gets me closer to being able to compete because it is so much faster and can make time at the increased speed (modified racing) that I can no longer compete WITHOUT it!!