R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Which engine modifier??
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 10:53 PM
MassiveMods
Tech Master

Wow this thread is interesting !

I can see there are a lot of people that have been burned by bad engine mods etc.. Its a shame because it can spoil it for the ones that can and do do a good job. I guess if engine mods didnt make a considerable difference when done correctly then there wouldnt be a need for engine modders.. But the truth is it is a striving business with a very real place in RC.

Regarding the RBC6BB ... i wouldnt mod it .. its a powerhouse engine as is..

Regarding engine mods , unless i have been fluking it for the last 4 years , actually work . And yes every modder has a different approach to how they achieve a difference in engine performance and i guess thats the charisma of choice. I guess if they all did it the same way then it would be pretty boring
Regarding sleeve cuts ... The common mis conception is that the cuts make the performance difference .. What they actually do is help fuel flow or guide fuel into the chamber.. They are also used to create turbulence which helps create power but id say they only make up 5 to 10 % of the over all difference if done correctly .

As mentioned port timing changes is where the benefit really comes from . And changing one takes away from the other... thats just dribble .. if you change a port time the right way to work with the other port timings all you get is gain , no losses at all . And to say all you need is a polish and balance ... More dribble from second hand information thats based on no real experience. No offence intended

The only time an engine mod takes away from the life of the engine is when the power created exceeds the material quality of the engine.

Who runs modified engines and wins ?

Just off the top of my head

The Jovanovics here in Australia used Murnan Modified engine and they win all the time. lamberto Collari , Yannick , Mark Pavidis... etc etc

Ive had 2 of my modified engines place 2nd in A main State title events one of which set a track record fastest lap.. Is that the engine ? no its the driver that had the win. But Modified engines run in racing wether we know it or not and they help win. These were modified .21 engines up against .28 size engines in Truggy Class ..

Interesting question but every top end sponsored racer gets factory engines that are tricked up to give its best performance. Lamberto Collari is 8 time world champion in on road 1/8 .. Do you think he runs a stock engine ? Nope ! try keeping up with him with a stocker..

With my business racers only make up about 10% of my work.. the rest are all recreational users that want to get more out of an engine..

I Have to agree with Maximo on a lot of points . Dremell is the best way to mod an engine . Done well , by hand.

Cheers MM

Last edited by MassiveMods; 12-19-2007 at 09:57 PM.