R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent 705
Thread: Serpent 705
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2003, 05:13 PM
nizee
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Accord
I am having so many problems with my SX12 engine, I am getting EXTREMELY frustrated, I feel like throwing the damn engine through a window!

I'm breaking in the engine, i'm on my 6th tank. It will just randomly start when I try mabye one out of ten times, the car will run beautifully for about 3 minutes, then the engine will begin to idle extremely high even with the carb slide completely closed, mind you the engine does not shut off, it just idles extremely high regardless of my idle and low end needle settings. Of course I shut the engine off and check everything, and when I go to restart it the the engine just won't start nomatter what I do, however it eventually starts after like 30 minutes of trying everything, and I didn't even do anything special; it's like the damn engine has a mind of it's own and is out to get me! The engine will not start, I have tried numerous glowplugs and they are all fine, I have tried using different glow igniters, I have tried the pressure lock thing where you cover the exhaust pipe for 2 seconds and dry-start it like it says in the manual, I have tried every possible setting on the needles, and to no avail, THE ENGINE WILL NOT START! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! This time the engine won't start at all, also the 12v powersource for my powerstart box is fine. I am running 30% nitro fuel, this is what my LHS reccomended.

This problem only started happening on the 5th tank or so throughout the break-in, before that it started up instantly and I never had any problem at all.

Please give me advice, I spent 2 hours trying to get this engine to work!

(I also posted this in a new thread so more people than just Serpent owners see this: http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=19625 )
That sound like u are running too lean, if your engine quit and hard to start it again. Also that idle goes on high at idle, sound like you have an air leak somewhere or your idle needle set open too much.

Why don't u do this first. Open up your carb and re-install again. This time push hard the carb down with your thumb (make sure there is an o-ring in there), while you tighten the nut that lock the carb. Better still if you have hi-temp silicon sealer, use it. That possibly eliminate that air-leak or possible problem of air leak. If the problem still happen, then lower the idle needle opening.

Also, try to open your lower needle maybe about 1/2 a turn and your main needle 1/2 a turn too andd see how it goes.....do that until it sound better.