R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - why are we still running sub-c cells??
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 01:50 PM
billjacobs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default thoughts

We are running sub cells because:
1) too much equipment designed for sub-c would be worthless
2) matchers wouldn't make money
3) if everything went to lipo, all current chassis and 1/12th scale (except losi and team magic) would be obsolete
4) all currently battery sponsored racers would have to buy new packs and most would have to buy their own packs.

I can care less what anybody runs, but, I just balanced an xray t2 with bmi asphault chassis and micro electronics (tekin fx pro, spektrum micro receiver, futaba 9550 servo, brushed motor) and an orion 3200 lipo and my car rtr weighed 47.5 ounces (rubber tires.) So to use my lipo pack in racing, I have to add a little over 7 ounces more weight to the car (I already added 4.5 ounces to balance the car) which would result in a slower car that used more tire and made the motor work harder.

This is why those of us who use lipo want everyone else to run it, not because we care what others run, but so that the rules will be changed and we can run lighter cars. People who use nimh don't see the argument from this point of view, they just think that others want them to give up their nimh packs.