R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - why are we still running sub-c cells??
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Impulse_racer
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Heat the packs to 120F before racing. Advantage: True. Safe: True.
Charge packs beyond 4.2v/cell. Advantage: True. Safe: FALSE!

Matching? Ask the matching company SMC if their 2 cell LiPo packs are matched. They say the cells are close enough they don't need it.

Scary cheap cells with high voltage for two runs? BAN! Spec batteries are the way to go. Tamiya got it right with the TCS rules this year.

Is there anything else? Probably. The hope with LiPo isn't that it's not evil, just that it's less evil. Baby steps, ya dig?
What I am saying is that racing is competition. NO ONE is going to be satisfied with the fact that the guy next to them has the same spec brushless motor and lipo battery for long. "How can I get an edge" will start to creep into the minds of every racer in time. It is the nature of racing and competitition. The lipo/brushless combo looks like a level playing field...NOW. But how many of us truly want a "level" playing field. We created the industry for battery matchers and motor tuners because we want to tilt that level playing field in our favor. We want to have a little extra than the guy next to us. There will be manufaturing techniques, equipment, and procedures invented to put us into the same type of situation we are in now with bushed motors and sub-C cells. We the racers will eventually demand it.