R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2007, 08:32 PM
LadiesFirst
Tech Fanatic

Default New brushless system problems

Hi Steve,
I am new to brushless, but not new to RC. I have been racing OFFROAD since 1990 off and on. An RC friend of mine told me to ask you about my problem (even though this is an onroad string).

About two weeks ago, I purchased a new Novak GTB 13.5 SS Pro system for my Losi truck. The track where I race is small and the highest pinion they allow for stock brushless is 19T. I run a Losi MF1 truck with 88 tooth spur.

I installed the brushless system a couple of nights ago (everthing is presoldered) and took it out to practice at the off road track tonight. I also have the Spectrum radio and receiver and adjusted the radio accordingly with what adjustments it allows (no expotential). I first did the one touch programming for the ESC. I then changed the profile to #2, as I wanted to use reverse while practicing. I then also dialed in about 21% drag brake.

The unit did not perform as I expected it to and had been told by others. The throttle was extremely soft and the motor had no punch at all. I have friends that have the very same system who tell me theirs have a lot of punch. One friend says that his motor spins "like crazy" when you handturn it with a pinion on it (not with power, just by hand). Mine spins just a little more than a brushed stock motor - not very freely - which did surprise me. Can you tell me what is the standard for this, or if there might be a potential problem with mine? Any help you can give me would be hugely appreciated!

Diane