R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Are we at the barrier?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Blind Skwerl
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1/10 electric TC's are treading into Formula 1 territory.

If you look at the r/c cars from all the different teams, they all look very similar. Without the paint on them, it's hard to tell the difference between a Ferrari F1 and a Honda F1.

Both games are becoming very elitist. In F1, you need at least 50 million to run a car for 1 season. They spend $1200 for a single use wheel lock, and go through 1600 of them in a season. F1 used to build a new motor ($$$$) for each race. In r/c, I see guys spending tons on stuff like servos with a slightly faster response time, new foams & brushes for each heat, the list goes on.

F1 tech has hit a barrier. They can make cars faster, and handle even better, but they have one problem holding them back... human drivers. Human reaction times, information processing, and physical endurance are pushed to the limits in today's F1. There are only a Handful of Kimis, Schumachers and Hamiltons that can push F1's to the limit now. If they make the cars faster, they effectively narrow the field of players, as teams just can't keep up and drivers die while trying to. R/C touring cars are approaching this barrier. Make them faster with tighter handling and watch the field narrow. Most will just not be able to do what the car is capable of. It's already the same small handful of winners each year in F1 and 1/10 on road. Bigger performance will just eliminate more people's chances of scoring a podium visit.

What F1 has done is put in restrictions (somewhat). Engines must be used for 2 races. Your car must have a minimum ground clearance. Your fuel has temperature restrictions. No more than 8 cylinders for the engines. Everyone has the same tires to choose from. This keeps the field broad enough to let a few more drivers be competitive. It also keeps the speeds down to make things a bit safer. It also makes racing a car a compliance nightmare. The F1 rules read more like intercontinental trade agreements written by teams of lawyers. Most F1 teams have several team members just to make sure they are following the rules; and several more to try and find loopholes or ways around them. Is this the way r/c touring should go? I hope not. There are no safety concerns to speak of, and I think there is still vast room for improvement, car-wise. The R&D money spent by the racing r/c companies is getting considerable and going up all the time. This has brought unbelievable performance to casual r/c'ers. Let them keep trying to do more. I'll never be able to drive a 1:1 car like Schumacher, and I'll never be able to drive a 1:10 car like Moore. But I still love to see what they can do. Let them do it. Don't restrict.