R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Who saw rctvlive about R.O.A.R. ?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 10:40 AM
DerekB
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
1. I am all in favor of Lipo.... with encasings for safety. I am not buying that batteries blow up (NiMH) on their own... what I see is overcharging.. so therefore, we might have to comment on charging specs and guidelines in the book. Lipo is coming... yes, I can confirm that. I would be in favor of stating voltage, unlimited mah and hard casings... when we can get some size specs from manufacturers and chassis companies to ensure our rules are not causing problems for the industry.

2. I will ask Tim Potter, On Road Electric Committee chairperson to comment on that one. I am hoping that very discussion is in review as I type this with the committee.
You do realize that how LIPOs are charged it's really not possible to charge at an unsafe level. The chargers charge at CA/CV...constant amp charge, and then a constant voltage.

I like the idea of hard case LIPO but I think adding shrapnel a battery is counter productive, lol.

All batteries blow up because they are pushed, and in some case manufacturer defect. The LIPO charge method pretty much takes that out of play. They have some that can already be charged in 15-20 minutes to 90% capacity (large capacity cells) so they are being charged at a high rate, and safe. The power tools industry is switching to them....they have a much higher liability than we do.