R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - IB4600
Thread: IB4600
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Rick Hohwart
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jan Larsen
Lipo will come. EFRA has already aired their interest into including lipo in 2009. And if they ligalize it, BRCA will aswell and then it'll only be a question before every other organisation will follow suit.

I, for one, definately hope that happen. 8000mah, here I come!
The problem we have in the U.S. is that racers and promoters, for some, reason, do not want to follow ROAR rules. Or any rules set for that matter. They all want to make up their own rules to "personalize' their races and make them unique.

But anyway, enforcing existing rules now for one year (until Lipo) may not be the smartest decision. With TC popularity falling, another year of uncertainty could accelerate the decline. We will see.

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
Well said. I could'nt agree more. And your take on the 5 cell trend is?
It has worked perfectly in the U.S. people choose to go 5-cell because they can perform better. Where it is mandated it seems to work well too.

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Once Lipos become legal for racing expect the samething that happened with sub-c cells as Lipo manufacturers will be pushing the limits to get more power which will most likely be at the expense of reliability and life expectancy.
I started racing in 1982. I had only raced for about a month when the first 1/12 World Championships was held in Anaheim, California (at the Disneyland Hotel). New to the hobby, I of course went to watch the best drivers in the World racing in my own back yard.

Only after the race was it known that the Jomac (they made cars) team figured out that if you used a new battery pack and charged it at a very high rate, you would get the best performance the first time charge. And after that, the battery was not as good (or junk, I can't recall).

The point is that racers and manufacturers have, from the very beginning, looked for any performance advantage even if it reduced the lifespan of the product manipulated.

We are at a point where the situation can't get any worse. LiPo is probably the best solution since that is the direction batteries are headed and where all development and improvements will be realized. But I doubt there will ever be truly equal batteries.