View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 10:34 AM
maxepower
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Wink EVEN PLAYING FIELD!

Originally Posted by TryHard
Hi guys,

I know this is a debatable question, but given all the talk over whats faster, has anyone run a 15.5 against a 27t?

My local club looks like it's going to allow brushless soon, and I'd like to be able to suggest a motor limit that we can use for B/L motors... It would seem that the general consensous is that 13.5's are faster (by how much is the debatable question)... so I'm wondering if suggesting a 15.5 to be the option.
Splitting classes isn't an option, and not everyone will switch (I know I will, then again, I'm one of the ones pushing for it ), so would like to keep it as fair as possible. Otherwise I could easily find myself in the situation whereby I'm accused of bing faster purely because of the B/L motors....

regards
Ed
HI ED,
I had the opportunity to run the EX 13.5. The only difference is the rotor and
a smaller bearing on the endbel compared to the Pro 13.5.This EX rotor had a noticeable amount power loss in torque and rpm's compared to the sintered rotor.
My son ran an "EA" cobalt 27t with me and side by side coming out of the corners we were even. Straightaway or top speed the cobalt would pull away. Now gearing and batteries could also have been a factor. So in my opinion to really even out the motors don't allow sintered rotors and set a limit on the gearing. I believe this will even things up. What final gearing I would say close to "5.0 FDR". It wont hurt the motor temp. if anything it may break 100F. The "stock bonded" rotor I couldn't say, I'm just basing it on the EX bonded rotor. Only allow the old bonded is what Novak used.
I hope I was of some help in even the playing field. I know a lot of BL racers will not be happy if these restrictions are implemented but what's fair is fair. Who knows they might way to switch back to brushed.
Just my 2$

Last edited by maxepower; 11-26-2007 at 11:09 AM.