R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - T-Bang Hobby Technology - Vancouver, Canada
Old 11-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Gilligan
Tech Regular

Hi, Guys.

Just a note here to let you know how the battery testing has been going. I've been using both Corally 4 and 6-cell IB4200 WC and the EP MIII 4200 cells for 1/12 and Pro10/TC. I've been testing and monitoring on two fronts:

1. Self discharge during storage - I've let two 6-cell EP4200 MIII cells and two 6-cell Corally IB4200WC packs sit on the shelf with 2000 mAh charge for two three week periods. I have used my Trinity DPD to discharge each pack to see how the resting voltage and the capacity holds up .... both are fine! Resting voltage on both cell types has been 1.3+ on the DPD and capacity has been 750 mAh remaining at the low end and 1600 mAh at the high end.

2. Cycle life and impact on resting voltage and capacity. In this instance I have been testing/cycling 2 x 4-cell IB and 2 x 4-cell EP packs as above. Both brands are holding up well. After 16 cycles I have noticed that discharge capacity is holding up remarkably well. The resting voltage is only now showing signs of minimal decrease over a 1-week rest period. Resting voltage is still up there at 1.28+ after using the cell for racing and then letting it sit for a week, then discharging on the DPD and grabbing the numbers from the machine. Cycles 17 and 18 at the track tonight!

So, this tells me that the EP4200 MIII and the Corally IB4200WC that I have been testing are holding up very well indeed. While not everyone may experience this, I certainly have as I use the cells under normal racing conditions on a weekly basis. I am particulary happy to see that self-discharge has reduced significantly and the cells are not zero-v-ing as in the past. Both the EP and the IB are from the most recent production runs after the issues we'd experienced in the summer. I hope to be able to continue the testing etc with the 4600s as they become legal at local club racing.

I hope this is helpful to those who are interested.

Happy racing.
Phil