R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mugen MTX-3
Thread: Mugen MTX-3
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2003, 09:55 PM
Manticore
Tech Champion

Originally posted by PMT
Manti, I'm only apolagizing if you are older than 12? However I still think that you are an as*

TSR6, where are people getting 100 pairs of tires from? In 1/8th we burn up a lot of rubber and the Hudy box is made to hold about this many pairs. To avoid using fresh tires every time we use the paint pen trick that I mentioned before. This way you don't waste rubber truing and you can use them up completely. I usualy take 2 sets of tires with me to a race. After I run them I mark them and put them in the box. Next time if I want to run a specific diamter I just look in my tire box and grab a used set that has the right diameter instead of cutting a fresh set. Saves money!

Stefan, I'm not too bussy bashing so I will take the time to respond to your question about overdrive. This is starting with the basics so my appolagies if this is repetative. Most 1/8th cars come w/ an overdrive ratio chart. In the last couple of years in touring w/ the use of foam tires there is starting to become a need for calculating this too. What the overdrive ration indicates is the ratio of drive (rotations) of the front tires compared to the rear tires. There are pulley sets available to adjust this but as foam tires wear (diameters change) this is most commonly adjusted by truing the tires to specific diametes.

When you see an overdrive ratio under 1 i.e. .985 what this means is that the rear tires are overdriving the fronts. Or for every complete rotation of the rear tires the front tires rotate .985 turns. When you see a ratio over 1 i.e. 1.008 that means that the front tires are overdriving the rears. Or for every 1 rotation of the rear tires the front rotates 1.008 times. These might seem light minute amounts but it can result in a significant change in how your car handles.

The ratio comes into play to a) tailor your cars handeling to the track type i.e. large flowing w/ sweepers or tight, narrow w/ 180's. b) Change the handeling of your car i.e. feeling of more steering, reduce the amount of steering etc.

So as a general rule of thumb on flowing high speed tracks you can run less overdrive i.e. 1.00 (sometimes below 1). This will make your car easier to drive on this type of track and also because you are running taller rear tires allow a higher top speed. On tight technical tracks you want to run a higher overdrive ration i.e 1.00 or above. This puts more drive to the front of the car and generaly makes the front of the car pull the rear around (extreem example is a front wheel drive full size car where front of car pulls the rear around corners) making the car feel almost like it has more steering. This makes it easier to drive around tight 180's etc. and generaly the car will go in the direction the front wheels are pointed when you apply gas. With overdrive small diameter changes make a large difference and this is something that needs to be experimented with to find what ratio you like best. You already have felt what a change in overdrive ration does, you probably have noticed that during the corse of a 30 minute main the handeling of your car changes? This change in handeling is because your tire diamteres are changing and hence your overdrive ratio.

Now before I get jumped on by anyone about the above overdrive explination let me say that this is an extreemely simplified explination of how and what changing this does.
by the way, did i never say I need your apology ?

you are too clever to be an anal !