R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Magic G4
Thread: Team Magic G4
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 02:21 AM
asw7576
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RayJ
After I ran there cars for two years, I gave up on supporting there products for several reasons. 1) Poor quality control in final car kits 2) Re-releasing editions of cars that had design flaws right from the start. 3) The amount of upgrades needed to bring current versions up to date. 4) Absolutely no loyalty to distributor or dealer networks in the US. That translates to bad customer support.

G4E
Mongoose
-These cars had a swing rack steering system that were impossible to keep working properly. They developed major slop with just afew races. Replacement was a real pain. All the other companies had steering systems that had the axial type steering systems that worked, and had ackerman adjustment.
-The mongoose was released with a right side brace that had the holes drilled improperly. The factory never released a direct replacement part for the car.
The result is a Tweaked car. You needed to shim the top deck in order to get the tweak out of the car.
-Fuel tanks for these car were also out of spec. Some as much as 5ml. How do I know? I got two of them. They also were designed with so many interior support ribs that the thing was impossible to fill properly w/o air pockets.
-The mongoose was also released with a rear blade type rear sway bar that does not work properly. Most of the racers who used this sway bar had to take it off because there was no consistency.
(these are MAJOR problems if you try and race the car competitively)

G4S........after my experiences with this car. I had enough. Especially after it's problems.
-The car was released with an outdated internal ratio(2.55 internal ratio) The other mfr's reduced internal ratio to 2.05. The fix was an after market transmission kit. Cost $100.00 This is when they already KNEW the problem.
-Car released with the previous fuel tanks that were still out of spec. and had fill problems previously mentioned.
-Again they released the car with the blade type rear sway bar that doesn't work.
-Two different entire clutch systems, and all the money involved in supporting them as well.
-Car released with outdated rear suspension geometry. A geometry that was originally designed for RUBBER tires. No roll center adjustment. If you raced on a hi bite super flat track the car was fast. Go to a race with afew bumps and your off the pace.
-Car released with outdated front & rear suspension. All the car companies came out with longer suspension arms. The longer suspension travel greatly improved bumpy track performance.
-Braking system wildly inconsistant. You either had no brakes or were full on.
-Car almost 80 grams overweight.

These are all my personal experiences, and the fix-its that I needed to do to make the car competitive. My wallet suffered.

Let's hope all these things with the new G4SR have been fixed. I hope so for all the guys that are looking to buy it. I know so many of you have brand loyalty and that's great. I didn't come on here to bash this product. I know it sounds that way, but I'm not. It's more of my first hand experience with there cars, and my own wallet. I'm just saying LOOK HARD at the cars you choose to buy. Look at all the cars on the market....... make comparisons to what the other guys are doing......and make an informed choice. Choose based on total car costs, upgrades needed to make a car competitive, suspension geometry and part support. That's all I'm trying to say here. Get all the specs on this new car or version of the G4. Then make a choice.
That's what I feel when I still own G4S. Only last 3 race meeting and I decided not to look after the car anymore, ...... so I sold it, and forget it.