R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - General 1/8th Scale On-Road Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Lil Paul
Tech Regular

Default Servos

Most of the digital high torque servos are plenty fast for driving 1/8th scale. I use the same model for throttle and steering mainly so I need to only stock one type as a spare. With racing you always want a decent speed servo, but most guys end up turning down their radio to make the car/steering less twitchy anyway. Also, you will hear some guys recommend sticking with analog servos to save battery and increase runtime, however with the sick batteries out there (ie 1400-1800mah), forget if you use lipos, that no longer is a real issue. Plus if we go back to speed and response time, digital servos provide the best response due to the High Response Systems being used with most of the newer radio systems. I think, most drivers mainly look for a strong/durable/reliable servo. That is one part you dont want failing you during a race day. I have used by futaba S9451 servos for the last 3 years, and only want to replace the wire due to permanent crimps from being in the same position for so long. I use plastic horns, so if I do hit hard, more than likely i will break/strip a $2.00 part, and not my $100.00 servo. Anyway, I am just glad to hear more guys are getting and coming back to racing. The competition always makes things fun and interesting. Plus, the chassis war is at its best.....Mugen, Serpent, Kyosho, and there are a few new players also. You cannot go wrong with any of the kits being produced. Its all up to the driver. Now, if we can get tires down to 25.00 a set.......