R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Schumacher Corner
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 08:27 AM
yyhayyim
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shawn Palmer
Randy - LOL!!!
I try to run tires a compound or two higher than they need to be to help with wear and provide more consistency if I'm going to be on the track the whole time.

Another thing I'm doing recently is changing something on the setup every 5 mins or so, so the tires and motor can cool down a bit. Change something, run for 5, change that back and change something else, and etc. All the while making mental and/or written notes on what everything does to the handling and to what magnitude. It's nice to pull off, add a shim or two, and get right back on with the exact same horsepower you just had. You can learn TONS about the car and the setup in a very short period of time like that.

I also change something between actual races. That way if I go the wrong way and the car isn't so good, I've still got to drive through it and finish the race so it's good general driving training as well!
I think one the most important reasons for using the Lipo/Brushless technology is how much easier the hobby becomes as well as innexpensive.

A)Easier- if the 10 drivers go to practice w/ 10.5 or 13.5 motors, and Lipo, then everyone is got pretty much the same power/speed, which evens things out for everyone. having to deal with brushed motor tuning or nimh battery set up is a whole world in itself and which can be extremely furstrating and time consuming for new drivers. Brushless is very little maintanance compared to brushed systems, and much easier to set up
...so is Lipo.

B) Innexpensive- if you're running 13.5 and 10.5 classes, you can get 16-17minutes of run time per 5000mah CORE Lipo pack on 10.5 BL, and 19-21 on 13.5 BL motors and LIPO. You can easily run 3 five minute quals on 1 pack on 10.5BL, and 4 or 5 on 13.5! All you need to bring to the track is your ICE charger(or whatever charger you use for your Lipo), and your one Core RC pack (Or Orion 4800 pack/ Maxamps, etc). No nimh cell dischargers, conditioner, shampoo, etc, and all those other gadgets, besides at least 3 good nimh packs, which can easily cost you $60-65 for the good ones, which put you at over $180 for those 3 nimh cell packs + another $150 for a decent discharger and conditioner, etc; Lipo is only $130-$140 for the good CORE rc 5000 packs or Orion 4800 packs, (Or MaxMaps 6000 HV packs are only $99-which makes them good practice packs). You really need only one Core RC Lipo, and it will outlast and out perform the 3 nimh packs, which deteriorate ad much faster rate than good Lipos...

theres much more to be said...but for the wise these bits should suffice