R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - EP 4200 blew up in my face today.
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Roads
Tech Initiate

Default EP 4200 blew up in my face today.

I had bought two new trinity matched EP 4200 packs and started building them today. I discharged all the cells to 0.90 volts and began soldering the bars on. Half way done soldering the pack I had my iron on one of the cells for about three seconds. After that things went fast, but I remember an extremely loud bang coupled with a burning sensation on the upper part of my face. I washed all the acid off my face and flushed my eyes. Long story short my vision was blured for hours, I have tiny pieces of metal imbedded into my skin, hopefully not my eyes, and was in pain for quite a while. I am still trying to contact trinity, thier office must be closed. It was a frightening experience. I have been an electric enthusiast for a long time. With the recent talk about batteries exploding, catching fire, and un-reliability being more common, NiMh and Li-Po alike, this might be the end for electric with me. I very could have lost an eye from the cap blowing off the cell. I will not buy another product from trinity. If this pack was matched from them, how did it explode while being soldered? Stories of EP's failng is becoming more common also. These cells are thought to be more durable but recent stories are telling the opposite. I thought this information should be put out for people to see. A fair warning, friendly advice, and a saftey precaution.

Thanks,
-RCRoads