R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Associated Factory Team TC5, Brushless, LiPo, Li-ion Nanophosphate, Tips and Tricks
Old 10-28-2007, 05:56 PM
syndr0me
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Stranahan
syndrome. I'm so very sorry to hear that. Send me a few pictures of the end if you would by e-mail to [email protected]. Maybe another pair of eyes would help. Normally a short occurs with plenty of fanfare. You would have been aware if you shorted it. Was the pack OK to start with? Maybe it came dead.
john
John,

I don't think it's shorted, just damaged somehow, presumably from trying to bend the tabs inward a bit to reduce its length. I didn't give it a full charge, but it did at least start taking a charge when it was new, so if it's damaged, it's my own fault. I sort of went into this knowing that was a definite possibility, but it's disappointing that it appears to have ended that way. Looking at the pack, it appears the tabs are pushed through slots in the PCB and then soldered down. I'm wondering if perhaps I can unsolder those tabs, shorten them somehow, and then solder them back to the board. This introduces the risk of damaging the cell's packaging where the tab exits if it gets too hot, but if I can fold the tabs to shorten them, I may be able to reuse the portion that's already soldered.

John, I'll get some pictures here in a bit and send them your way. I installed Leopard on my laptop last night, and haven't completed getting my computer back up to speed, including Photoshop and the like.