R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - a123 battery packs
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 07:29 AM
d4_racer
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by party_wagon
Odds are he covered the little blemish where the cells release pressure. As stated earlier this is why they don't explode when you over charge them. Not to mention if you actually read the thread everyone is talking about how much safer they are then other cells in a worste case scenario.
yeah, i agree and i know.

but when cells DO explode IMHO it is more physically dangerous than a lipo. lipo is a just like thin bags with the stuff in it while normal sub c cells are decent thickness metal. from all the nimh explosions i've come across they really do turn into like a shrapnel grenade. after an explosion i can easily find metal bits and the internals scattered across my whole area, like what, 20m radius?

i aint saying lipos arent dangerous, they just have a less BANG explosion, more like a BURST explosion as they seem to just swell up and pop while nimh just leak acid and explode.

i understand where your coming from about the a123 cells and they seem fairly good and safe, but until they fit a lil better, by being not as long, i'll stay with lipos. i'll try them one day