R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - How about an Associated RC10-T44?
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Cain
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I kind of got my conversion going, at least for 1/8 scale buggy. Got tired of the nitro issues that other than them, the class is a blast to run. With an electric 1/8 scale buggy, I am in nirvana.

Now, back on topic (sorry guys for getting off it for a second), I think that if someone would make conversion kits that can be bought and you pick the vehicle sort of like RC Product Designs is doing for 1/8 scale, could be a niche market to start up things. The biggest problem however is deciding what side do you go to as far as chassis templating to make your 4wd truck conversions.

Do you start with the electric 4wd buggies, or do you convert gas 4wd trucks?

It would probably be easier to make conversions for 4wd gas trucks, sell them, you buy the gear, and whammo, you are in business. Heck for awhile there the Academy RT4GP Pro Spec truck was $100 at ultimatehobbies. I think that still right now for the electric side the Academy SBV2s would be the easiest to convert.

Assuming a conversion runs around what it does for 1/8 scale, but for those without a center diff could be cheaper, I would say you could see the following prices:

Vehicle: $150 - $220
ESC & Motor Combo: $170 - $230
Lipo: $90 - $130
Conversion: $50 - $125 (vehicle changes dependent)

I think that would be about it, of course, you would need your own radio gear, servo, etc. But this would be assuming you have that already going from a conversion perspective. So you would spend about: $460 - $705 . Now, with this setup you can run the 20+ minute mains, not have a warchest of NiMH batteries, and not have to work on motors all the time.

I know this would be suspect to a basher, because the biggest thing you are fighting against is comparison to a RTR 1/8 scale buggy unfortunately or truggy (can get some nice race level ones RTR for $500ish)

That I think is the biggest holdback right now. Comparison to a 1/8 scale buggy. If I can run on the 1/8 scale track for about the same price or less than a converted 1/10 scale 4wd truck with a 1/8 scale buggy rtr, why would I go with the conversion. Its easy to compare the benefits over the costs of 1/8 Ebuggy to 1/8 nitro buggy, but 1/10 4wd truck is a different bear.

As for me, after trying 2wd stadium again and now having 1/8 scale buggy electric, it will take a lot for me to go back to the 1/10 scale class (if there was a group of guys who would do it, I would, but it would need to be a core group). I also know if I worked with MRC and they were kind enough to help me persue an electric 4wd stadium truck, I would only be able to run it with truggies, and after having caught one of these in the face this past month, can only imagine one of those coming down on my truck.

I think you are on the right track Craps, but it will take reports of this actually being done before guys give it a go, even more so than 1/8 scale brushless setups since your vehicle would create a whole new class.

As for the whole ESC Selection thing, to each his own, I really like my Mamba Max units I have had, but other than the whole fan issue on the Novaks, they are really great too. I just hope that each company (and LRP too) keeps pushing each other as competition keeps things improving.

That Kyosho looks nice other than the truck body. To me at least seems it needs to be more form fitting.