R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Anyone want to help out a newbie? (need car recommendations)
Old 10-19-2007, 09:38 PM
a1m80t
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'll be the first to tell you that even if you only plan to spend 65, that’s probably not going to happened.

You said your are a noobie so I’m assuming you do not have batteries. Rechargeable Batteries and charger will cost you a good portion or all of 65 dollars depending on what you get. Trust me when I say, its not a good idea to buy alkaline batteries. Batteries do not last long; we are taking minutes for electric car or a few hours for transmitter and receiver

Still, cost for repairs will add up quickly if you are not careful and the saying goes, you will break something

ANYWAY

The only thing $100 dollars can give you is a Mini Z (1/24 scale). I have seen someone in this forum sell a brand new mini z with a F50 body for 110... And that’s dirt cheap for this hobby. Keep in mind, mini z are still hella fast and fun, check the youbue videos of them.

If you want something normal, aka 1/10 scale you are going to have to get used. Still If you decide to buy used rc car remember, that 99% of the time, you will have to put more money into it. It could be something small like screws or something big like a new engine. Regardless, something will always come up. Still, i have yet to see a ready to run, hobby grade car with everything you need car for 65 bucks. Just be careful, a used car cost can quickly add up to a brand new car in no time.

Also HPI are great but I wouldn't call them Top of the line. They are one of many good companies.

Consider doing more research or saving more money. If you had to get something now with minimal amount of money, I tend to lean toward mini z, but keep in mind rc cars can get old if you are racing by yourself and mini z aren’t the most popular.