R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - battery performance - voltage vs amps
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 09:32 PM
stumblin
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by R1R 7humbs
If I had a 7.4v pack with 8 amps of capacity should it perform as well as a 11.1v pack with 5 amps of capacity?

amps * volts = watts equation says they should be very simliar. From what I've read the 7.4v pack would heat up more than the 11.1v pack because of the nature of the current. The 7.4v and 11.1v packs are the same size +-1mm and I could use the extended run time of the 8 amp pack.

I've asked this question before (diff in voltage, without mentioning the difference in mah) I knew more about batteries and I was told the 7.4v pack won't perform as well... can anyone explain why, Thanks.
2s 8000mAH maxamps lipo
~7v under load x (amps) 160amps = 1120 watt hours
3s 5000mAH maxamps lipo
~10.5v under load x 100amps = 1050 watt hours

That is the math for you in watt hours, now I will tell you that with the velineon you can gear it up to 30t-32t pinion and a 76t spur and get to around 70mph with the 3s but you wouldn't even want to try it with 2s as it would be way too hot, *if the 2s could provide the specs and stay with in temp itself (under 140) the motor would still break 200 in no time geared like that. You need increased effeciency of the voltage w/ the 3s if you want to run 60-70 range. What those numbers really mean is that the two batteries if running the same speed would last about the same amount of time

That velineon is a fantastic motor, I wouldn't change it for anything on the market right now. Silky smooth and one torquey sog.

hope that helps.. and with a little less attitude as well :P