R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Picco P7 Evo 2
Thread: Picco P7 Evo 2
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 12:57 PM
xspower
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aussies1129
help!!! I am running in my P7 but cant even get it going cause it keeps on seizing at top dead centre gotta then pull it out of the car and turn the fly wheel by hand what a drama????its so tight has anyone got any suggestions to get it freed up as i am doing my head in???
thanks
I will assume that this engine is new and also that the engine is cold right? If so Please whatever you do, DO NOT try to start the engine cold and have it stick. NOT GOOD!!!! When you start the engine when it is new there is a little know fact that what is happening within the first say 1 min or so of the engines life is what will make that engine be the rest of it's life. Let me explain a bit. When the engine is new we all know that the parts are tight. Ok then with this in mind what do you think is happening when the engine is stone cold with tight parts. If you thought it was wear then you are right. Man I have seen so so so many engines wasted in the first 3 tanks then from anything else. The correct way to get the engine a good break in and good fit of the piston/sleeve is put the engine in the chassis and make sure the flywheel is attached. NO CLUTCH. nest go and get yourself a heatgun not a hairdryer. Heat the engine with the chassis aligned on the starter box and make sure there is fuel and all. Get the engine to around 180 to 190 degree's with the heat gun. Heat the case and the heatsink as well. Then start the engine it will wing over fine and there will be no premature wear as the parts are not so tight they make noise and are sticking. The sticking at the top is mechanical pinch. Yes there will be some but the more you get it away and looser for the sart in the beginning the less damage you will have to the engine. Keep the heat on the engine and let it run up to around 210 to 220 degree's high idle nice and easy. Use the fuel you are going to use when the motor is ready. break in fuel is not what we have found to be the "Golden Key". What I am explaining up above is. Do this for a few cycles. When I mean cycle's we heatthe engine and run 2 tanks straight never letting the engine temp drop below 210 to 220 when running. That is using the heat gun. Do this a few time. The cycle is 2 tanks straight then cool down. The repeat. You should be ok after around 6 to 8 tanks of fuel and 3 to 4 cycles. Cooling is not done by vlowing cool air. It is letting it cool down normally by sitting. Try it you should not have a problem. When you are done with the break in put the clutch in and run it on the track nice and easy but let the engine get hot. No I am running it at 140 degree's and the car does not come on the pipe. Get it over 200 and run easy. You should be good in another 10 tanks or so. I am saying 10 it may be a little less or more. Each engine is fit different. Leaning the engine out slowly each tank. Hope it helps we still have engines from 1 year ago running fine no problems. Like I said the most important time is the first few min. of the start when new.