R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Fullthrottle Motorsports
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Bob Barry
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'm going to give you my opinion, which is base on Max Performance NOT motor life or battery life and differs from Bill's but it is something you can try.

I base my TARGET motor temps on Starting Ambient room temp. We'll use 70 degrees for "normal temp".

normal Temp in touring after 5:15 seconds should be roughly 150 (yes 150) IF your lap times do not fall off. Don't worry about the com or brushes or any of that. If you look at your lap times and see that you fall off a few tenths and can honestly say it wasn't your driving, then gear down a tooth.

Ex: temp 70deg roll out 30mm = 150 degrees first lap 12.5 last lap 12.7. That to me is ok.

Now if your outside and its 100 degrees and nasty out, then you would wanna drop that roll out on the same motor to somewhere in the 26-28 range so you can maintain 12.8-12.9 for 5 minutes. Otherwise you will start out at 12.5 and end up around 14.0 because you smoked the brushes.

Conversely if your running in the winter and its cold then you can get away with throwing an extra tooth on there. Don't go too far though. Watch your lap times.

As far as cutting the comm. Once my brushes are seated I do not open the motor at all until I notice a drop off. I know a lot of guys disagree, but to me a properly seated brush will give you much more power. Now this could be 2 runs or 6 runs....watch your lap times.

Batteries. Now remember, my experience is with IB's.
Store charged....show up at track and put on equalizing tray down to .9
Charge at 8amps .03 cut off (remember 70 degree ambient temps)
Pull pack off charge as race is being called up. DO NOT REPEAK unless your pack has been sitting for more than 20 minutes. In stock racing, it is way more beneficial to go on the track with a pack only charged 75% but pulled right off the charger than one that was charged 100% and sitting for 15 minutes. 12th scale and mod...different story.
Finish race, let batteries cool, pulse discharge down to .9. Let cool off, put 1000mah charge back into pack and put away.

Hope this helps guys.

Remember....this is NOT how you wanna do things if you are interested max product life. Here's my disclaimer....Individual results may vary so try at your own risk