R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR Officer Election Ballot - deadline 11/15/07
Old 10-11-2007, 07:55 AM
jiml
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timmay70
Who is looking for write-in votes and what are the issues that they are addressing?

This is the problem that I have with voting in ROAR elections. It's not like there is a list of things that people stand for or want to see done. This is like someone approaching you on the street and asking you to vote in Trash Man of the year. You don't really know who they are (sorry to abuse you if you know any such Sanitary Engineers). You like the work they do, but hardly know what they stand for, what the issues at stake are, and what their job fully entails.

It has been like this every year that I have known ROAR. Believe me, I want to like ROAR. Their goals are very noble, regardless of how much people think they 'screw everything up' with every decision they make. I re-up every year to race at ROAR sanctioned tracks, regional events and national events.
I feel I should reply to this, but I'm not sure how. You're looking for specific issues, and there really aren't any. It doesn't help that there's no one to debate issues with either.

The one opinion that it seems like everyone agrees on is ROAR sucks. I've come across this many times. So I always ask why does ROAR suck. Usually the answer is about some small detail that the person disagrees with. When I try to explain why ROAR made a particular decision, the response to that is "I don't care, ROAR still sucks!" How do you fight that?

The position of Regional Director I feel is to be an administrator. That is, here's the ROAR rulebook, lets follow it. If there's something in there you don't like, we can change it. An RD also needs to make decisions, and this is where the trouble starts. Once you make a decision, someone is bound to be pissed off. I think that's where the trouble is, I made a decision that someone didn't like.

There is no easy answer to this. You will have to read the different posts for yourself, and come to your own conclusion. I have always wanted to make RC racing better for all racers, not just the top level competitors.

I am not asking you to vote for me, but I am asking all ROAR members to vote. This is one of the few times your voice is truly heard.