R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Who likes small blocks?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 10:42 AM
HPI RS4
Tech Initiate

Default Who likes small blocks?

Are there any 0.06 or 0.09 ci (1.0/1.5 cc) nitro engines available in the market? Are any of these a direct drop in into 1/10th scale? How is the quality? Power?

Just curious because with any industry moving forward, their products are always getting bigger and supposedly "better". However consequently those same things (i.e. engines) are also getting porkier and taller (Center of Gravity?). What's next... a small block 0.30??!

I wanna see a movement towards a smaller & compact, lighter weight, more fuel efficient nitro engine and yet still provide adequate power (higher rpm's?). Speed isn't always everything and it seems we already have more than most of us can control anyway. Electric seems to be going down to 4/5 cells... why can't the nitro industry go in a somewhat similar direction?

Don't get me wrong the power can still probably be near ~1 hp with a smaller engine with as many outlaw ports as it needs (maybe the outlaw thing can be revised since it's a smaller engine anyway), but with the added benefit of less weight, lower CoG, fuel efficient and better handling?

Too bad OS can't revisit the Lay Down series and create a new smaller one or here's hoping for one.

I've noticed that with the wave of 1/16 or 1/18th scale mini, that some of those do seem to have some smaller displacement engines, but I still have to do some more looking around.