View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 12:08 PM
rmdhawaii
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
RMD, you’re right, nobody gets into it RC for the money and I’m not flaming, OK

Are Cash Payouts for the entire A Main a bad thing? Even at Club level races?
Not a bad thing at all. Would definitely put a smile on my face.

Have you ever entered a Bass fishing tournament?

When you get lucky and bag the big fish, that fish looks good, the trophy looks good and the Cash feels real good too. That’s all I’m saying.
From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_fishing#Competition

There are two major bass fishing competitions in the United States. One is the Bassmaster Tournament Trail, organized by the Bass Anglers Sportsman Society. It was started by Ray Scott, the "father" of competitive bass fishing. First held in 1969, today, professionals like Michael Iaconelli, Kevin VanDam, Robert Baney, Aaron Martens, Rick Clunn, and Luke Clausen are household names to many American sports fans. There are 12 events in which the top 50 anglers compete. The top prize in the Bassmaster Classic is $500,000. The other event is the Wal-Mart FLW Tour. The top prize of the FLW Cup is $1 Million. Both tours are nationally televised on networks like ESPN and Fox Sports Net, and covered extensively by the media.

Someone mentioned that watching R/C racing as a spectator sport was boring to the masses, but if you could get Ray Wood style coverage out on ESPN every week, you would be making some headway. His videos are always very interesting and exciting. Seems like the best R/C can do is, is a few minutes on YouTube with a CamCorder - if that. And on top of that, there are no commentators, no coverage style graphics and you can't even tell who is who - or who is winning!!

It really doesn't cost that much to hire a small local crew, to cover a race to produce a ESPN style video for a national organization's Web site. "Splurging" on one on-road and one off-road race a year seems like a good promotional idea to me. If you want to "show people" how exciting R/C racing can be, this is certainly one way of doing it.

I bet event organizers could get local film school students to come out and film your event for next to nothing. Convince one of the instructors to turn it into a class assignment and you can probably get quite a bit of coverage during the race season.