R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Is LI-PO going to be ROAR Legal this year?
Old 09-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Scottrik
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leodis
Believe what you want, but BL + Lipo has made racing noticably cheaper for me and many other racers. People who are sick of wallet racing (both nitro and electric) are flocking to BL + Lipo because of the cost savings and ease of use.

No matter how many people bring up this fact, there will always be people who say that once BL + Lipo becomes more accepted by racers, the cost savings will go down. Those same people often have ties to brushed motor companies and nickel battery companies. Go figure...

ROAR is currently working with BL companies to get the ball rolling on legalizing spec BL motors. I'm very happy with ROAR and the BL companies for taking the initiative. I wish the same could be said about lipo.
No attachment to motor or battery companies here--ownership, sponsorship, even knowing somebody who knows somebody. I've just been around the block a few times on this "cost savings" pony ride. I SHOULD add that I don't think it will cost any MORE either. It'll just be different, and probably easier to maintain. At least in the form we now know them in. Wait until the matcher's get involved...and the cell companies start to compete on performance specs. What we're looking for from batteries is generally different than what the flying crowd are looking for.

Like you I applaud ROAR for trying to make it all work--and they really are doing so. I look forward to a spec brushless motor and will heartily embrace them when they're here. As far as LiPos, I think they need to come to a decision that racers and the insurance carriers can all happily co-exist with, and my guess is that will be plastic-encased cells, which STILL have a substantial weight benefit over sub-C's so I just can't understand why some folks like the fellow above get their panties in a twist over them other than a prevailing "my way or no way" attitude. Flexibility is the key to getting ANY of this passed sooner rather than later, willingness to give a little on BOTH sides of the debate.