R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - How High-End Do We Need Our Equipment To Be Competitive ???
Old 09-24-2007, 02:27 PM
JLock
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
...... I fell into the "I gotta have great cells to compete" trap and spent way more money on motors and batteries instead of tires and track time.

Just an old former slow guy's humble opinion
This is one of the better points made on this thread. Most of "the latest, greatest car/batteries/motors, etc" is a trap to get "us" to spend more monies when much of the time we don't have to. I run both electric and nitro touring cars. In nitro, I was just as competitive with my local competitors with my stock MTX-3 against their MTX-3 Prospecs and MTX-4s with all the hop-ups and bling-bling. Why? It was because I started to learn to set up and drive the car to "my" abilities. Plus, I spent a few days each month between races practicing the basics (hitting corners right, when to roll on and off the throttle in turns, how to respond and input when you car over/understeers in corners, etc). I learned my cars and what inputs did what to my cars on the track. I found "my" setup for my cars, not Burch's, Swauger's, Baker's, or Skidmore's setups. Those setups are fine for them, but, I am not them. Let someone else stated somewhere on this forum, I worked with what I had until I could not do better before I moved to the next car in the line (latest/greatest).