R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya Championship Series
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Hawk6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by f1larry
Spec is a good class for the Novice driver but the reason that there is not enought drivers usually at a regional event are many.
1. The Chasis is limited to a TT01 or TL01(a newbie buying one of those chasis doesn't know about the TCS and usually does not race).
2. A novice driver who races uses another more race worthy chasis (TA05, TB02, or TA04) and doesn't want to buy a new chasis just to race in the spec class once a year.
3. GT3 was supposed to be more of a Novice class with Spec being a beginner class, but many of the better racers like the spec like class of GT3 and spend a ton of money to race in it and that turns the novice off when they see these drivers running times close to GT2 and they are running times closer to the spec drivers.
4. GT3 should be a spec class for the better racers and it should be used with the black can motor.
5. A new class should be made for the true beginner/novice racer allowing any tub chasis and a silver can motor. (This should take the place of the spec class and still be limited to the 7.93 Final Drive gearing that spec is now).

I know I had to buy a TT01 for my son to race in the spec class when he would rather be driving his TA05.
I agree with most of that. My 12 year old son was definitely discouraged in spec class at Trackside in March when he was getting spanked by "spec" drivers that made the A main in Mini and the B main in GT2. That ain't right.

I don't think we need a new spec class, just enforce the beginner aspect of spec class, and maybe open it up to more chassis'.

Can't wait till 2008 TCS.

Last edited by Hawk6; 09-13-2007 at 07:53 AM.