R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Speedmerchant Rev.4
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 07:26 AM
Carl Giordano
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timmay70
The old skool arms are molded by AE, and to say that the molds have taken a beating over the past 20+ years would be putting it lightly. When setting up the front ends on these, you should look (measure) at the two kingpins to be sure that the negative camber matches from side to side. The paper shim should be used not only to add negative camber to your liking, but it should also be used to fine-tune the actual setting. I am not saying that the camber is definitely off on the arms that are installed on your car. It could be that you are actually tuning the chassis to perform well on that one particular track.

I generally don't add or remove camber to change how the tires cone, as that would be the wrong reason to change settings. You could set up your car so that the tires wear completely square, and the car could still handle like a bag. Setting up the car for what is required to be fast is more important, even if the tires cone. Typically, when my carpet r4 is set-up properly, the inside of the front tires are smaller.. it's just what seems to work well.

Timmay70: thanks for the feedback. I really use a piece of paper under the outer edge of the blocks to get the tires to wear evenly versus flat...I should have been more clear.