R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho VoneR Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2003, 06:11 AM
Taylor-Racing
Tech Elite

Originally posted by patelladragger
Early adopter! I might have more $$$ than sense like the old folks say (just love the hobby).
Well, yeah, OK . . but I needed to be polite about it, ya see.

The sirio is very quick but the carb is a crapshoot. Some are bad out of the box. I had a friend who had a bad carb in one and mine had a bad o-ring in the low-speed so it would not hold setting. The motor (my opinion) has better top-end than mr12 but not quite as much punch. Don't know anyone that has 3-4 gallons through one though that can report on reliability.
Thanks, that's kind of of what I expected. I wonder if the carb issues are fixed. I have a spare Nova carb. Sirio's are not very common around these parts, though one of the locals seems to have his going sufficiently well. And by sufficiently well, I mean better than a MR12. Unfortunately, what used to be regarded as a "standard" engine doesn't really seem to cut it, even at club events, these days.
Is your Sirio the ABC or the AAC one? Apparently the AAC one has a crank flute and whatever else. I presume this version would have a little more poke.
My fundamental reasoning for this engine is that it has some top end that the OS TR lacks and the price is reasonable - also the rebuild costs are cheap enough, unlike a Nova based engine. With maybe a visit from Dr Dremel, it might just make the grade on most counts.

I have seen some people really blistering with the pixie now that they're getting more gas in them though. I'd go with the pixie if I had a choice - especially since the price has dropped. It's heavy, but you will see it's built very well. I don't know how it would do as a backup motor though it needs a lot of gas in it before it starts really waking up.
Yes, these Pixies . . . We have a few of them down here. When I first saw them they looked like the business . . they really do screeeeeam. They also seem to need gearing down in order to be able to use that top end. Some had fuel delivery problems and some had issues running in hot weather, so I went off them, somewhat. More recently, they have apparently decided that these issues were fuel related, but I remain sceptical on that one.
I understand they use a lager diameter crank and this contributes to their strength, no doubt. Their effective life span looks good also - certainly, they have held together very well down here - not something we can say about the Nova S3's.
Yeah, they are heavy . . . but hey, it's going into a V-One-R. We need that extra ground hugging weight, unlike those paranoid anorexic MTX-3 folks.

Oooops, forgot . . . . present company excepted, of course.