R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits.
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 11:47 AM
markhat250
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I think both of your comments are more on par than mine honestly. That is...I won't be able to wait to convert (more like 2 or 3 years out is realistic for a production model). By then....who knows, the proto companies may be better already than a big dog like Losi could even produce.

I know my post may have been a little on the discouraging side for new comers (including myself), but I truley feel that it has not evolved to a point where you will see a mass exodus. When problems are minimal though, like esc issues and a slipper clutch for the most part, then you will be like Moses parting the Red Sea and watching people convert by the thousands. This is good because the price will naturally and instantly drop for you, the developer, due to bigger production.

I feel you guys are on the brink of that major epihphony that you are waiting for. THEN and only then will you start seeing nitro guys dropping thier gas by the thousands!!!

As far as the clutch goes.....keep in mind that nitro guys are used to this. They like the lag because lag equals planted wheels, and not spinning wheels that can spin them out. BUT everyone is different I realize. Some like no lag (people that are used to electrics), and some like a little. That's why you NEED a slipper. Something that has a dial of how much slip you prefer. This is why electrics STILL have a slipper. I do realize that most of you electric boyz crank them all the way in, but I let mine slip to imitate what would be expected in my nitro clutch. Bottom line....this is a crucial fix. This is a "touchy feely" part of all of our cars where a lot of people have different settings and certain opinions about. Just look at all the different wieghts of springs they offer for your aluminum, or should I say composite shoes. Like I said.....there is a lot of opinion when it comes to a clutch!! I'm glad to see you guys addressing this!! I'm cluless so....good luck

Brakes. I'm in the middle honestly. Bottom line if the brakes are doing what you want them to do, then pads or esc doing it may not be a big deal. But to me, relying soley on an esc for brakes spells trouble in such a heavy car. I'm not saying pads are the answer.

Kudos to you guys taking the plung. I think we (nitro guys) would consider changing teams and living with the rough edges, and drilling holes in our Mamba Max till something better comes out. But no clutch and questionable brakes (ones that don't have adjustable bias) is about the ONLY thing holding me back. I'll live with all the other shortcomings if we can get to this point.

Yes.....I'm at the sidelines pointing a finger, but it is with a big smile of encouragement!!

Last edited by markhat250; 08-29-2007 at 12:15 PM.