R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ONCE YOU GO NITRO YOU NEVER GO BACK....LOL
Old 08-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Kinson
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rdeppen
Gas is just for bashing and there is no side by side racing???

Dude I feel sorry for you. The competition in your area must SUCK. LOL If you have never been to a high level 1/8th race (not a saturday night special but one of the major events) you haven't seen close racing. The first 25 minutes of the Truggy Nats last weekend had no more than a couple seconds between 1st thru 3rd. If you want really close racing go spend a small fortune and race Touring Cars. LOL

I started in electric like most but my background was MX/SX racing. I only picked the hobby up because I broke both my wrists racing. Figured I wasn't gonna be the next Jeremy McGrath so I started racing RC's in the ealry 90's. 2wheel mod is BY FAR the hardest class to compete in. I did it and had fun but was never a threat up front with the competition back in the day at Coral Springs. Gas truck hit the scene and I fell in love with the sound, smell and tuning aspect of them vs flashlights. Never looked back. Gas has completely dominated electric racing in the last 5 years here in FL. I just made a trade the other day thou for my first flashlight in years. I'm gonna try my hand at Brushless/Lipo mod truck. LOL oh the kicker is I'm gonna race it in the gas truck class on Saturday nights. Pit stops and all. Shouldn't have any trouble making 15 minutes.
Well I can say except for the FL state offroad series and the large events, any other gas racing in North Florida is not that exciting. It looks like the gas is smaller now in Florida than a few years ago and the BL/Lipo is the next big thing. Funny how all the gas people talk about how great gas is and how the electric stuff is dieing/dead but when the 1/8 electric conversions run the gas folk cry about how unfair the electrics are. As for touring cars, I thought this was the "offroad" forum and therefore about offroad stuff.

A few guys here are good at gas but when I see guys that can't even keep their sh!t running for more than a few minutes, how are they ever going to learn how to setup a gas vehicle. The only thing that help gas grow so much was the RTR's. When they are new and run, it's great but see how many are still running after a few tanks. At our local track, I've seen more gas folks selling their stuff and getting electrics every day. I purchased a nitro 1/8 scale and will probably convert it to electrics before I ever race it or just use it for playing/bashing.