R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Corally Batteries
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2003, 05:57 AM
johnbull
Tech Master

Hi guys. greetings from Malta.

PAT.

Thanks for your comments about cells. This is what we do.

Son Josh runs a TC3 with 10 x 1 Corally Pro Series Gold motor, and Corally Pro Team 3000 UMH cells.

We race every second weekend. I leave the cells just as they have finished the race, usually with 20 to 30 seconds run time still in them. An hour before his race I discharge to 0.6 per cell, then charge on Novak Millenium Pro at 4 amps. The cut off is the same as yours. All this is done on a fan - we use the Trinity ones which also double up as car stands, so the cells stay relatively cool throughout.

Three minutes before he is due on the grid I peak at 7.5 volts on a Protrak charger with minimal cut off.

It must work for Josh has won all 11 rounds of the National TC championship held to date. Incidentally he uses a Novak GT7 set on programme 1, which is the softest.

Now to my own car. I run a Yoke MR4 Sp in 21 turn sealed stock class. We all run the same Corally 21 turn single Street Racer motor which is the control motor for the stock class here this season. We are allowed to play with brushes, hoods and springs but nothing else. I run mine with laydown brushes, using Corally Q brushes, 180 positive spring and 150 negative. Josh's mod motors run the same spring arrangement.

Cells. I run Corally Sanyo 3000HV Pro Team cells exclusively. They don't have the run time of the UMH cells but I think they have a bit more punch which is so useful in stock.

Again I put them away as they have finished the 5 minute race, which means that they still have at least 1 minutes run time in them. One hour before my race I discharge same way as I do Josh's cells and charge at 6 amps since run time is not a problem. Peaking procedure is the same.

I too have had good results with this method, winning 6 of the 11 rounds held to date.

I also run a Novak GT7 in my Yoke, but mine is set on programme 6 for lots of UUmph!

We're on again this Sunday.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.