R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC5
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 06:33 AM
kn7671
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
That's 5 spurs over two days. Has anyone else had spur gear problems from rear end hits? I know I set my mesh properly but am I missing something here? I plan on trying 48P the next time out or possibly going back to RW gears rather than Kimbrough.
I hear lots of talk about 64-pitch gears, but let me state a fact some won't be thinking of. Unless you are a very good driver (were talking consistent lap times within 1-second of each other), then stick with more common and slightly cheaper 48-pitch gears until you can drive/perform consistently. You will have to keep less spurs/pinions on hand, and they are more durable.

Buying all the extra spurs and pinions needed for 64-pitch racing can be a waste of money until you become consistent. We all know that 64-pitch allows for greater gear ratio adjustments and run a little quieter, but if you are not consistent, then what good can be achieved by changing the gear ratio on a narrower scale? Granted, if money is of no concern, spend away.

I AM NOT consistent yet, though my lap times are coming down. I blame this on not finding a dialed setup for my TC5 just yet, but mostly my carpet driving skills are marginal as best , so 48-pitch works just fine for me.