R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 5 Cells, the time is now!! Or atleast by 2008
Old 08-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Tubaboy
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

One comment that I see being mentioned repeatedly is how ROAR is holding up the acceptance of Lipo. ROAR creates rules in coordination with manufacturers. Are any manufacturers currently working with ROAR to create a set of acceptable rules for Lipo batteries? (Ala LRP and Novak did this with the Brushless stuff a couple years ago)

So has Orion, Kokam, MaxAmps, etc. submitted any Lipo batteries to them for review?

I think ROAR wants to allow Lipo batteries, but they need the assistance of the experts in the field (ie. manufacturers). Part of the reason I think this is the case is this past year's off-road nationals.

As for ROAR having rules, that's not a bad thing. Otherwise, safety could become a real issue. I think any new technology should go through a review procedure before being allowed.

Frank's post about moving to 5 cell is something that we as ROAR members have a direct impact on. It does not need the involvement of the manufacturers. Rather it is a decision that should be decided by the racers and or ex-com. Right or wrong, I'm glad Frank brought up the 5 cell discussion.

This last part is off-topic. But 4200's in their current state are more dangerous then Lipo's in my opinion.

This past weekend, a cell blew in somebody's pit. (He was charging at 2 AMPS!!) Struck him in the butt. leaving a welt several inches wide and causing him to limp most of the day. Additionally, the battery chemicals struck another guy nearby in the face. Luckily he was wearing glasses, otherwise his eyesight could have been severely damaged by the battery acid. The racer, was a new guy, who bought a somewhat cheap charger cuz he is new, and the batteries that everybody else runs. The batteries were about a month old and this was their 3 race. Needless to say, not a good situation. This is one issue I hope ROAR does take a look at.

Paul