R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Project Team Associated TR3 (TC3 truggy)56k warning
Old 08-10-2007, 02:29 PM
ta_man
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eds24
Well here's the story about the g10. I ordered some .125" (1/8th" or 3mm) sheet 12"x18" I wait a week and pay $18 for shipping which was a bit crazy. It gets here and its .188" (5mm) thick. Way too heavy and thick for a double deck chassis. So I call them and they said they would send me another sheet. So I waited another week and it came today. I soon was faced with the reality of how hard this stuff is to cut. I put in my thicker blades on the scroll saw and I start cutting it. I get about 1 or 2 inchs in and the blade becomes dull enough where it won't cut anymore... errr. I exspected this but I didn't think it would be this bad. I thought maybe every 6 inchs I would have to switch blades. So I started cutting with a circular saw and that is not very easy to cut with at all. But I think for most of the bottom chassis I can use it. Its going to be hard but Idk how else to cut it. The problem is ,is that I have no clue how I will be able to cut the upper deck.. becuase I can't use the circular saw much. Any ideas??
Try getting a REMGRIT GJ-2 sabre saw blade (or something similar to fit your scroll saw). These have tungsten carbide grit brazed to the cutting edge of the saw blade. Here is a link to a catalog where they are listed:

http://www.abmetal.ch/blumol_catalog.pdf

Go to page 19.