R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 5 Cells, the time is now!! Or atleast by 2008
Old 08-07-2007, 03:23 PM
AEDUE
AE-Reedy

I really dont think that you guys are understanding the reasoning for making a 5 cell limit, so I am going to enlighten some of you. The soul reason to push for 5 cells is to make it easier on the electronics, not to slow the racing down. In fact I really dont think that going to 5 cells will really make any difference in speed. You will be able to run a lower wind motor and still do the same speed, but with less voltage, the motors wont burn up as fast and they will last much longer. Now on the other hand we could just tell everyone that there is a limit on the wind of motor that can be used. Unfortunately, with both brushless and brushed motors that is just not that easy. Also like others on here have said how do you tech that rule, can be somewhat tricky. Additionaly, there is still all of the voltage and amperage running through the speedo, still making for unreliability. Now this is where the battery option comes in. If you go to 5 cell packs, the amperage and voltage drops to a level that is back to managable for the speedos and motors, making electronics more reliable and racing more affordable for everyone. Also with there only being 5 cells in a pack batteries will be slightly cheaper, always a plus. Now most of you come on here with this lame response. Why would you go backwards in technology. What in the world are you talking about? How is that backwards? Running a 1400 pack would be going backwards, not changing the amount of cells. The rest of you that are pushing the Lipo cells, I think that is great. There are lots of positives to lipo batteries, but your still going to run into the same problem with motors and speedos blowing up in excessive heat and under heavy loads.