R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 5 Cells, the time is now!! Or atleast by 2008
Old 08-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Ed237
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The performance of electric powered vehicles has improved drastically in the last 5 years. Ironically, the faster they go, the fewer people choose to race them. If faster was better electric should be huge, but its not. Its going the other way, even with Lipo and BL motors.

I think its time to slow the cars down and I would prefer to do it by eliminating mod and 19t and force everyone to run stock. I can hear everyone groan, but I think its the right move. Instead of trying to prove electric is faster, how about just focusing in improving the racing.

When 50 people show up to race 1/8 buggies, they are not separated by .21 and .28 motors or 20% and 30% feul classes. They all run .21 motors with the feul of their choice, qualify together get separated into their mains and race. We need to start doing that with electric - simplify the whole deal with 1 kind of motor and battery per class.

There is room for both battery technologies to co-exist. I'm thinking stock lipo touring cars and stock nimh pan cars.

If stock puts the fast guys all back together, there will be some tight racing, less failures, a better show. Guys will stick around and watch the A main and those who don't make it to the A won't be missing it by as much.