R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Overheating Motor
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 11:55 AM
rcdude8937
Tech Rookie

Default Overheating Motor

I have been running a Trinity D3, which I bought 7 years ago. I have always used the cheepy batteries that are something like 1100 maH. Recently I bought batteries that are 3300 maH and my motor is overheating. This was a switch from NiCad to NiMH. My run time is now about double and the NiMH runs at peak speed nearly the entire time, whereas the NiCads would run at peak speed for half the time and then trail off. With the new batteries, my motor gets so hot that I can't even touch it. I hadn't changed my brushes for the last 7 years and now the heat that has been generated chews up the brushes after a couple batteries. I've gone through 4 pares of brushes and I'm really frustrated. Would a new motor be designed to handle the heat generated from the longer run times of the new batteries that are on the market today? Are the brushes I'm using too low of quality for such long of run times? -I'm using the 3-4 dollar ones that Hobby People sells. And no I don't want to go brushless. Please advise, thank you.