R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 11:45 AM
SlowerOne
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by CaliberX
I'm a newcomer but got hooked into racing big time about 2 years ago. TC started it all of course for me. Never saw or even knew about pan (12th or 10th) for 6 months. One of the racers brought a 1/12th out and let me try it. He did the same with a 10L3T. Game over
I think that's the point - TCs are in the shops, look like road sedans, and attract people. 12th doesn't make the average hobby shop, so no one sees them.
T
Originally Posted by CaliberX
rying 19T (dynasty) in my 3.1R for the first time in a few days. We got a 80X40'ish track with a mixed layout. How does 50-55mm (1.96" to 2.165") roll out sound? Always ran stock, never tried 19T. Need something to remember as I won't be able to carve laps for 3 weeks
V2 Dynasty - tyr around 54mm/rev. Laydown Dynasty, try anything between 45 and 50mm/rev - we have found a lot of speed at 45mm/rev even on a big track. HTH
Originally Posted by protc3
1/12th doesnt evolve very often but it seems to be now.alot of different companies are really showing interest in the class and putting there all into it.its nice to see because it has always been and always will be an exciting class.
brushless is going to boost all electric classes.alot of guys have gone to nitro due to the battery issues that have been seen with the 4200's and the hassle of always cutting motors to stay competitive.with brushless here and getting stronger along with lipo making its mark,alot of guys are coming back to electric.
1/12th is getting bigger i feel because of the price of the high performance you get when you buy one.for $200-$300 you get a car that far exceeds the capabilities and handling of a $500 touring car.they are cheap to maintain and always a good time.honestly i would like to see 1/10th pan car replace TC.TC is just getting out of hand.
As said above, it is the familiarity with a TC in the shop that gets people in. Most people who go straight to 12th give up because they are finiky devils. Unless there is someone at the Club to set it up for you, it is easy to be put off - battery tape, additive, precise assembly, etc... - before you hit the track and find it doesnn't handle well, breaks, tweeks, etc...

Measure 12th against an Associated TC4 or B4 RTR (the best RTRs in the World) and it doesn't stack up. 10th pan car would be a terrible battery, horsepower and tyre war, and again not attractive to new drivers in the hoby shops.

12th survives because it is so stable on rules, cars, parts, tyres and cells. BL will help, but LiPo won't. Making big changes (like Mamba 18th BL motors and 7.4v LiPo, an awesome combination) makes the class less attractive because the development path is steep and costly. Keep 12th as it is, attract drivers from TC and Off-Road during the Winter, and it will continue to thrive. We'd all like it to be more popular, but TC is popular and look what's happening there. Be careful what you wish for...