R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Bearing maintenance
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 12:48 PM
mtveten
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Having used acer & other high priced bearings in the past I would recommend against them for use in nitro cars or on dusty race surfaces.

In my experience the best option is to use decent low cost metal shielded bearings like those from Yeah Racing(light oil for less drag) or Avid RC (grease pack for longer lifespan) and replace them as soon as they start to get gritty.

All the bearing cleaning processes described will only remove grit from the bearings preventing further damage but will do nothing to repair the damage already caused by the debris. Oil them when the dry out but proper cleaning takes too long and just isn't cost effective.

When brand new those expensive ceramics may be a bit better but after a few races they will be far worse then a $15 new set.

The best cleaning process I have found is to remove the seals (only if you can do so without damaging them), throw the bearings in an ultrasonic cleaner (the cheap integy one works fine) submerged in a cleaning solution like motor spray, nitro cleaner or even nitro fuel for 10-15min. Blow them out good, oil them up and let sit overnight before before reinstalling the seals putting them in your car.

mark