R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - A thought on car weights
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 08:59 AM
timmay70
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Now hear this...I KNOW THEY HAVE RULES TO LEVEL THE PLAYING FIELD, I SAID THAT IN THE VERY FIRST POST!

How much shaving can one do that will make a noticeable difference in the upper levels?
Not much before it would prove to be an advantage. I assume you're talking about racing at a world/national event with the guys that made the show. These drivers are all at the top of their games, and really any driver could take any chassis at that level, that meets the guidelines, and do well. Look at the qualifying times of the top ten drivers and you will notice that there is not much separation at all.

Since everyone racing at the upper levels are racing at races that don't allow Lipo's, the lighter power source, why should they change the weight rules for a technology that is not yet allowed? Why worry about it until it's legal? I have seen some of the best racers in the world graze boards, and am sure they are glad that the weight rule is in place, causing the Mfgs. to continue to make cars with beefier parts. I am sure at mod speeds that the parts would have broken if they were designed with the lighter weight rules in place. It's not a matter of money at that level, rather, making sure that when your top drivers are at full tilt driving the cars right on edge, there is that built in margin for error, if needed. It would mean either having a title, or being on the sideline.

While these top drivers do race local club level events, the equipment they race at world/national level events can't be compared directly with the gear that the local clubs/track could/does allow. So by saying that locally you're going to lower the weight min rule, it would be like comparing apples and oranges to the rules that are already established and set in place for national events.