R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Too many classes... what to do, what to do...
Old 07-25-2007, 06:35 AM
4wd Racer
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nay0k
Well, I believe it's time to stop separating the classes by power displacement. There will be 19 turn guys who would be slower with a mod motor as an example, so why not start separating it by skill level like nitro currently does? And with the current motor and battery technologies the power gap is closing anyway.

If it were up to me, the electric class setup would be:

Novice Open
Intermediate 2wd Buggy
Intermediate 4wd Buggy
Intermediate Truck
Expert 2wd Buggy
Expert 4wd Buggy
Expert Truck
I totally agree with this post, as it is exactly my feeling how electric should be run at club races, as well as bigger events! Right on, and keep Novice as for what it was intended to be in the first place.

No need for all the confusion created by multiple classes, and those that insist on making a dedicated competitive stock/19T class that stands alone all by itself, when it should be open and run what you brought. It’s frustrating with what has been happening to electric racing lately in the past few years, and I think all the confusion created by multiple class has contributed to its decline in popularity and simplity.

You don't see them splitting up 1/8th 4wd scale by engine sizes today, but rather by skill levels at big events and club races. In fact I know that if I race nitro, I don't have to worry about investing in multiple nitro engine combos or the like, too much hassle if that was the case. That’s the appeal of running nitro to many new racers, and it continues to attract many new racers for the fact you just can run your 1/8th scale and gas truck as it is with whatever you purchased for it. Way less confusing for sure. I think the same should be the case for electric. I believe the additional diversity classes for electric (19T, Stock, & further clouded by the push for 10.5 brushless, 13.5 brushless classes, when is it going to end? just a money maker for manufactors for the most part I believe) is just simply hurting it for the past few years, and hope for the return of the glory day of simply run what you brought to the track, and see an increase in turnouts far as electric racing goes. A lot simpler and easier. We could learn a thing or two from our nitro counterparts for sure.