R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Too many classes... what to do, what to do...
Old 07-23-2007, 02:03 PM
scott54
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Too many classes... what to do, what to do...

There was a comment in another thread about adding another class... which was quickly responded to by "great, another class..... " Rather than start the conversation and have it buried in that thread, I thought I'd start a new one because this is an issue that tracks have to deal with.

The local track I race at has too many classes running. Well, maybe not too many, but not enough people to support every class. We had 8 heats. Here's a list of the classes and the number in each (estimated because I don't know the exact number).
1) 4wd - 6
2) Truggies - 4
3) Mod Truck - 5
4) Monster Truck 5
5) Monster Truck 4
6) 1/8th 5
7) 1/8th 4
8) Stock truck 5

Yeah, there were people that ran more than one class so I'd say we had about 25 racers. A couple people left who were running 1/8th so we ended up having just one 1/8th scale main. But with that many people turning out, which I think is pretty good, only the monster truck class had a B main. Half the fun of racing is qualifying and if you're only qualifying for WHERE you start in the A, it can get boring. I know everyone has different tastes in what they drive but the racing is always more fun when there's three or four heats of racers trying to qualify for the A main.
I know a lot of tracks are combining stock and mod truck and making an "open" truck class which I support but that can intimidate new racers jumping in... I would just like to know what other tracks are doing about this. We don't even have a 2wd, mini, or who knows what else is racing out there at other tracks. We also have an issue with electric 1/8ths running with the nitro cars. The best lap times are the same but it just so happens the person with an electric eight is just a better driver... but of course we're getting complaints about whether or not its fair to include them.. I know, that could be an entirely different thread. What are track owners doing about all of the classes diluting the heats? What classes are you combining? Do you split nitro racing days and electric racing days? How do you keep a noobie from buying a 1/16th Trinity Blade and expecting to race it? hear what I'm saying? Wow.. long first post.