R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - KYOSHO RED BOX TIRE
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2007, 07:01 AM
TomB
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
Your experiences are important. What works for me may not work for you. I have not run all the tires you have. Most have been pretty good.

I have raced:

GRP: The older 2 mm spoked wheel was pretty good. The 1mm spoked wheel is not good. Bends easily and spokes break as well. I have not tried the dish wheel. Grip, wear and resistance to chunking are all average (which means pretty good)

ZAC: Better grip than the GRP. Stiff wheel. Doesn't bend very easily at all. Also doesn't break very easily. It will bend or break, but it takes a pretty good shot. Same wear and resistance to chunking as the GRP. Higher cost tire.

Jaco: Old wheel shattered upon any impact. The serpent wheel they use is much better. The stiffness of the wheel is a very good balance between bending or breaking. It doesn't bend nearly as easily as the GRP wheel. It doesn't break as easily as the ZAC. Lower grip than any tire I have used. Good wear, but I found them to chunk very easily. Maybe I had bad "luck" but they chunked on me almost every time I hit the track. Good pricing.

GQ: Nice wheel. Doesn't break and doesn't bend very easily, but will bend around the center of the axle. A flanged wheel nut helps with that problem, but that is the worst problem with the GQ. I found it to have grip similar to the GRP but just seemed a bit inconsistant in the way it handled. Also it seemed to change a lot as it warmed up which made qualifying difficult sometimes. Much better than Jaco for chunking, but slightly worse than GRP. Good pricing but supply was very inconsistant. It has been over a year since I ran GQ.

Microsystems: This uses the Serpent wheel which I think is probably the best overall wheel. I think this one is basically just like the GRP, but with a much better wheel. Good tire. This is what I was racing with until I signed with Kyosho.

Kyosho Red Box: I think the serpent wheel is the best, but this one is a very close second ( I hope I don't get in trouble for saying that). I haven't broken one and they don't bend easily either. Grip is better than all of them except the Zac. It has the same grip as ZAC. It works better in high grip situations than the Zac. Wear is about the same as the GRP and the microsystems. It is now priced competetively.

If I had no tire sponsors at all and I could easily get all the tires (a consistant supply of tires is important to me) my order would be:

Kyosho
Microsystems
Zac
GQ
GRP
Jaco

I put GQ ahead of GRP only based upon the super flimsy 1mm offset spoked wheel I used on my MTX4. The MTX3 wheel was a lot better.
thanks for the info Scott. i have a race coming up, and was planing on trying the GQ's, your good opinions on the ZAC have tiped me over the edge to stay with ZAC

only thing i found was the zacs chunked a little easier for me.