R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ep4200 vs. intellect ib 4200wc
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 02:40 PM
SlowerOne
Tech Fanatic

It would be good of this could get back to the topic, as I've some cells to buy for our 12th season and would like to know from those who have tried EP how they rate them for 12th; but...

Jack is right. I have raced for 30 years, and every time a new cell comes out, it is the saviour of RC. LiPo is not different. What the people who quote the airplane guys never say is that...

a) the airplane guys run at constant revs most of the time, at lower currents for a longer time, and when they do change speed the load is waaaaay lower than an RC car coming out of a corner.

b) when in a car, the LiPo is subject to consant vertical vibration that it absolutely hates! The plates run horzontally and the vibration is vertical. Most LiPo accidents are caused by poor manufacturing that allows the metal plates to touch each other when vibrated vertically. The 'plane guys put their packs in large amounts of foam. The vibrations are spread horizontally and vertically, and the pack is well insulated.

c) IATA only licence two LiPo manufacturers to send these types of cell by air - all the cheap stuff has to come by sea. That tells you something...

Jack is right, but you early adopters go right ahead and prove it all for us. I can wait and be a fast-follower if it works, and better off if it doesn't!

But, meanwhile, I'd like to know more about EPs, please!