R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Handicapping
Thread: Handicapping
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Davidka
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I think that handicapping and systems like that make for unnecessary complications. The tracks in my area are doing Sportsman classes and one even did an intermediate class. The idea of A, B, C, etc. mains went out the window because there were less than 10 people per class despite the track being full of people. Instead of giving people the chance to be competitive it made the racing so that nobody was competitive. You knew you would make the main and that you'd be racing the same 4-5 guys you did the week before.

I'm finding more and more that care needs to be taken in what a track chooses to offer and not offer. In our area right now there are fully 3 off road race series happening and the turnout is just so-so. There is usually an A and B main for buggies and truggies and one heat/main of MT and 1/10. A year ago we had much better turnout than this at our weekly club races. With the series races happening all the time it is thinning out the club races while the the "big" races aren't big enough to be "big".

I say keep it simple. It's toy car racing and most guys don't need to win, just to race and enjoy it.